The school house system at Leicester Preparatory School helps to teach children the value of teamwork and good behaviour.
We place a high value on learning about working as a team, developing responsibility and the benefits of good behaviour, so the School House System is an important part of student life.
From Year 1, each child joins one of the four school houses, with siblings in the same house. The houses are named after famous individuals who have been influential to the life and development of Leicester. The houses are:
- Attenborough (Film actor and director, educated at Wyggeston Grammar School for Boys in Leciester)
- Bennion (Industrialist and benefactor of Bradgate Park)
- Gimson (Architect born in Leicester, designed several houses in Stoneygate and Knighton)
Throughout the year, students receive points which contribute to the house competitions. Your child will receive house points as rewards for things such as good behaviour, good work, and good attitude. You can also win extra points for your house through house events:
- Sports Day
- Spelling Bees
- Creative challenges – such as our “Autumn Craft ” competition
- Art and design competitions
- Science ‘Egg Races’
We regularly have a school-wide assembly where we count the individual house points and announce the winning house. Then, at the end of the year, all points are counted and the winning house for the year is announced and awards are distributed. There is a wonderful sense of inter-year camaraderie generated throughout the school with the house system.